Welcome to the Dragon Con Art Show's Artist Rules page and thank you for your interest in attending the Show this year. You will find answers to many of your questions about our rules, procedures and deadlines within this page and the other tabs above. Please take the time to read through them all carefully. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Art Show Directors for assistance. We are here to help.
These rules have been developed over many years with input from numerous volunteers, Art Show Directors and artists. They capture the experience and knowledge of individuals who have participated in Dragon Con and other Art Shows. They are in place so that artists can obtain the greatest potential sales success while still maintaining a reasonable amount of security, safety and efficient operation of the Show for artists, fans, Art Show staff, volunteers and hotel facilities.
The Art Show Directors reserve the right to refuse any application submitted for Jury, including, but not limited to, the following examples:
- Submitted artwork to the Jury does not meet the subject matter policy of the Art Show.
- When an artist has demonstrated continued disregard for or the inability to follow Art Show rules and/or procedures over an extended period of time. If the artist shows no improvement after the Directors have attempted to correct the situation through instruction and discussions with the artist, then refusal of any future applications to the Art Show may occur. This situation will be evaluated on a case by case basis as it occurs.
- When an artist has engaged in some form of onsite disturbance(s) to other attending artists, attendees, hotel staff, Art Show volunteers or the Art Show Directors over an extended period of time. If the artist shows no improvement after the Directors have attempted to correct the situation through instruction and discussions with the artist, then refusal of any future applications to the Art Show may also occur. This situation will also be evaluated on a case by case basis as it occurs. Unprofessional or disruptive behavior onsite can affect future attendance to the Art Show.
The Art Show Directors also reserve the right to modify these rules when and if such modification becomes necessary for the benefit of the Show.
Primary communications from the Dragon Con Art Show Directors will be via e-mail.
- Please ensure that you provide us with a valid e-mail address and that you check it often.
- Please check the capacity of your e-mail inbox from time-to-time to ensure that you have sufficient room to receive any e-mails we might be sending.
- If we need to send you a large file (over 50K in size), we will send you a small note to warn you that it is coming. This will allow you to either clear enough room out of your e-mail inbox to receive it or to notify us if it does not arrive.
We are not responsible for theft or damage to pieces displayed.
Exhibitor shall be fully responsible to pay for any and all damages to property owned by Hyatt Regency Atlanta, its owners or managers which results from any act or omission of Exhibitor. Exhibitor agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless, Hyatt Regency Atlanta, its owners, managers, officers or directors, agents, employees, subsidiaries and affiliates, from any damages or charges resulting from Exhibitor's use of the property. Exhibitor's liability shall include all losses, costs, damages, or expenses arising from or out of or by reason of any accident or bodily injury or other occurrences to any person or persons, including the Exhibitor, its agents, employees, and business invitees which arise from or out of the Exhibitor's occupancy and use of the exhibition premises, Hyatt Regency Atlanta or any part thereof.
The artist(s) and/or agent(s) understands and acknowledges that Dragon Con and the Atlanta Hyatt Regency do not maintain insurance covering artist's property or liability.
It is the sole responsibility of the artist(s) and/or agent(s) to obtain property damage, liability, and business interruption insurance covering any and all losses by the artist.
Recent Updates, Additions and Important Information.
Acceptance into the Art Show by the Jury DOES NOT mean that all space requests will be accepted as listed on the submitted application form. While it will mean you have passed the first step of the Art Show Jury process, please remember that you are not in the Show yet. While space requests will be considered based upon various factors (e.g. Guest status, pre-approved status, Jury score, floorspace availability, amount of space requested, etc.), you will need to check your online status page for you current status. When you check your status page, you will see your application status as showing "Pending Space Assignment" after Jury results have been sent out. If that status changes and shows "Artist Placed on Floor" instead, then your space requests have been granted and we will then process your payment. But, until your status page shows that you have been placed on the floor, your space requests should be considered pending. Dragon Con cannot guarantee all space requests will be granted.
Due to continuing PCI Compliance guidelines on how consumer credit card information is to be processed, we will continue with our new payment procedures again this year. Please read through the requirements and procedures when you log-in to apply for Jury submissions under the "Payment Status" link. Please be patient with these procedures as we work toward streamlining the process and continue to work out any issues. Please feel free to contact the Art Show Directors with any questions or concerns about the payment procedures.
The Art Show Directors reserve the right to refuse an application form if, in previous years, the artist has demonstrated a lack of ability to adhere to the rules and procedures of the Dragon Con Art Show or if they have been a distruptive influence at the Show, to Convention attendees, Art Show staff, volunteers or fellow artists.
The taking of photos or videos, other than authorized Press, is NOT PERMITTED within the Art Show by ANYONE (including artists and/or any member of their party) without the express permission of the Art Show Directors. Please do not give anyone permission to take photos or videos of your artwork or surrounding artwork in the Art Show, without prior approval of the Art Show Directors.
Use of QR Codes for advertising purposes is not permited at this time. While the Art Show staff embraces advances in technology that increase efficiency, use of these codes will conflict with our no photography or video policy. If QR Codes are found prominently shown in the room during the Show, then the artist will be asked to remove them or they will be covered up by the Art Show staff.
The Art Show percentage amounts across the board are currently adjusted to 15% for all sales through both the Art Gallery and Print Shop again this year. For more detailed information about Art Gallery and Print Shop space descriptions available at the Art Show, please refer to the Departments tab above.
When filling out Art Gallery control sheets, a dollar amount or Not for Sale (NFS) must be entered into all three of the columns provided. If some of your artwork will be NFS, then NFS MUST be entered into all three of the columns provided. If some of your artwork will be for sale,then a dollar amount MUST be entered into all three of the columns provided. You CANNOT combine a dollar amount and NFS together on a single piece of artwork in any combination (e.g. QS $5.00, MB NFS, AA $4.00). Failure to follow these guidelines may result in the applicant not being accepted into the Art Show.
Any changes to the control sheets (Art Gallery and/or Print Shop) at the onsite check-in day of Show will be limited to 25% of the total number of pieces of artwork being submitted into the Art Gallery and/or Print Shop. This does not include deletions. Percentages will be calculated by dividing the number of line items with changes by the total number of line items on the control sheets, not the dollar values.
All Not for Sale (NFS) items listed on the Art Gallery control sheets are limited to 25% of the total number of pieces of artwork being submitted into the Art Gallery and again this does not include deletions. Percentages will be calculated by dividing the number of line items with NFS by the total number of line items on the control sheets.
Artists who are dating/married and apply to the Art Show together with the idea of requesting a Bazaar table MUST purchase that table space separately on their application forms. If both of the artists are accepted by Jury and placed on the floor, they may not share a Bazaar table at the same time. The Art Show Directors will be happy to place the couple side by side at their own Bazaar table onsite, but they must sell only their own artwork at each of their tables. Check with the Directors if you have any questions about this rule.
Artists may NOT have artwork or prints checked into the Art Show with a bid sheet or piece id sheet attached to them located at their Bazaar table or Artist Booth table for sale. Any artwork checked into the Art Show must be located on the Art Gallery floor in the artist's assigned space or the Print Shop for sale. Items checked into the Art Show found at an artist's Bazaar table or Artist Booth table will be moved to the artist's assigned space on the Art Gallery floor and/or the Print Shop. No Exceptions!!
Use of electronic cigarettes (e-cig or e-cigarette), electronic vaping devices, personal vaporizers (PV), digital vapor devices or any other electronic nicotine delivery systems by artists, their families, friends or helpers onsite anytime in the Art Show or Comics and Pop Artists Alley Grand Halls during the weekend will be strictly prohibited. There are designated smoking areas at the hotel for use of nicotine products. Anyone using one of these items will be asked to stop and to put it away or go to one of the designated smoking areas. If there is a second incident, then that person will be asked to leave the premises.
The electricity fee is $45.00 per outlet at the Art Show. Please be aware: - If you have purchased one electrical outlet, that permits you to have only ONE thing plugged into it. Please don't order one electrical outlet and then plug multiple items into it via a surge strip or 3-way splitter. You will be asked to remove the additional items or pay for the additional per outlet usage ($45.00 for each outlet).
You must be the original artist or authorized agent in order to sell artwork in the Art Show. Reselling someone else's artwork is not permitted.
We reserve the right to refuse the exhibition of any artwork piece for any reason.
Artwork subject matter should be of a science fiction, fantasy, horror, surreal, astronomical or a related theme.
No artwork displayed or sold at the Art Show may infringe upon any existing copyright, trademark or other intellectual property.
- This includes what is commonly referred to as fan-art. All artwork must be completly and exclusively the original work, a limited edition run of the work or a print of the work by the artist. Artwork submitted to the Jury or any artwork sold at the Show may not contain ANY copyright protected characters, settings, names, etc. If you do not have documented permissions to sell copyright protected characters from movies, TV or other media related, derivative art, then please do not include these items with the artwork you submit to Jury OR that you intend to sell at the Art Show. Please contact the Art Show Directors with any questions and/or needed clarification about what constitutes fan-art.
- If you are a legitimately licensed artist with express permission to sell copyright protected characters from movies, TV or other media related, derivative art, then please contact the Art Show Directors to discuss your situation and what documented permissions you have before applying to the Jury.
- The argument that your work is an allowed "fair use" under copyright law in no way changes the rule against all artwork displayed or sold at the Art Show not infringing upon any existing copyright, trademark or other intellectual property.
- The argument that your work is only suggestive of a copyright protected character from movies, TV or other media related, derivative art also does not provide an exception to the rule. While we will work with all artists about possible issues with their artwork subject matter, the decision of the Art Show Directors is final.
Artistic nudity is permitted at the Art Show. Please contact the Art Show Directors with any questions and/or needed clarification about what constitutes artistic nudity.
No artwork deemed by the Art Show Directors to be infringing, libelous, plagiaristic, obscene, insulting or offensive will be permitted.
All pieces are sold without any reproduction rights. Stating that rights are included with sale is not the legal method to assign rights in the State of Georgia.
The rights granted to the artist and/or agent may not be sold, sublet, given or otherwise transferred to any third party.
Items sold at Bazaar tables or Artist Booths must also comply with all subject matter and sale policies.
The Dragon Con Art Show is a juried Show. Artists will be juried using their most recent work (preferably within the past 2 years).
Application to the Dragon Con Art Show is a fully online system process. While we strive to make the online experience as user friendly as possible for both the computer savy and not so savy artist, user and technical issues can arise. If you have an issue with the system or you just have questions in general, then please feel free to contact the Art Show Directors for assistance.
Do not contact any Dragon Con Jury member about the Jury process. Violation of this rule will result in the artist being disqualified from this year's and next year's Dragon Con Art Show! All questions about the Jury process should be sent to the Art Show Directors!
For more detailed information about the requirements and procedures for applying to Jury, please refer to the 'Jury' tab.
Correct use of the application and all other online forms is MANDATORY. Failure to follow instructions and proper procedures for any online form may result in the applicant not being accepted into the Art Show. Mailed copies of any of the online forms will not be accepted unless prior permission has been given from the Art Show Directors. If you are having some kind of issue with the online forms, please feel free to contact the Art Show Directors for assistance.
We will not sell ANY Art Show space at the Convention!
For more detailed information about space available in the Art Gallery, please refer to the 'Departments' tab.
After the artist has read through the rules and procedures contained within this page and the other tabs above, they should then begin by filling out the Application Form online and following the prompts given to them on screen and by email.
Please use your legal name on the Art Show application form in the "First Name" and "Last Name" fields.
- If you use an artist name that is different from your legal name, then please make note of this in the "Artist Name" field provided.
- However, unless the artist has verifiable proof (e.g. driver's license, state photo id card, passport, etc.) that the artist name is their legal name, then all paperwork, correspondence and any post-Show sales checks will refer to the original name given on your application form and not the artist name.
Submit payment information for the space you wish to reserve for the Dragon Con 2017 Art Show.
- Payment for all space fees must be via check, money order, or credit card in U.S. funds.
- For credit cards, include your information with your application form.
- We accept only Visa or Master Card.
- For checks or money orders, mail to: Dragon Con Main Office, P.O. Box 16459, Atlanta, GA 30321-0459.
- Make checks and money orders payable to "Dragon Con".
- Include your legal name and Artist ID number with the check or money order.
- A fine of $35 or 5% of the face amount of the check(s), whichever is greater, will be charged for any NSF check(s).
Check to see if you pass the automatic Jury acceptance criteria.
- If you don't pass the automatic Jury acceptance criteria, submit your Jury submission images per the requirements listed on the 'Jury' tab.
- If you are not sure if you pass automatically, please contact the Art Show Directors to verify.
When the artist completes the Dragon Con 2017 Art Show online application form, submits their space request(s), inputs the space fee payment information and uploads their 7 images, they will continue on to the Jury consideration phase of the process. If they are accepted by the Jury and meet the various other factors that determine the final decision for space requests by the Directors (e.g. Guest status, pre-approved status, Jury score, floorspace availability, amount of space requested, etc.), they will be e-mailed a confirmation letter that their space requests have been accepted. The artist can also check their personal online status page that is created when they apply to the Art Show for the current status of their application, images, payments, etc. to see where they are in the process. Please contact the Art Show Directors if there is an issue with your status page.
While Dragon Con cannot guarantee all space requests will be granted as listed on the application form, we will do our best to assist all artists with their space requests.
Once an artist has passed Jury, space is available until it sells out, which may happen very quickly.
- If you pass Jury but the space you want is not available, you will be notified of your options and you may be placed on a Waiting List for the possibility of matching space opening up due to a withdrawal from the Show.
Electricity Usage at the Show
The Art Show room is a very large room with high ceilings. We will be doing our best to light everyone's artwork in the Show for the best possible presentation to the attendees. However, given the number of lights we have and the number of bays we have to light, we cannot guarantee that your panel/bay/table has a dedicated light source. If you are concerned about getting a spotlight specifically for your own artwork, please request any electrical outlet(s) on the application form you think you will need and bring your own light(s). Tables will support standing lights; bays and panels will hold most clip-on lights.
Please be aware: - If you have purchased one electrical outlet, that permits you to have only ONE thing plugged into it. Please don't order one electrical outlet and then plug multiple items into it via a surge strip or 3-way splitter. You will be asked to remove the additional items or pay for the additional per outlet usage ($45.00 for each outlet).
- No refunds will be given after July 1, 2017.
- Requests for refunds prior to July 1, 2017 must be made in writing and a 5% refund charge will be applied.
- If an Artist that is pre-registered and pre-paid is not onsite at the Art Show by Friday 12:00 noon, their space will be forfeited and no refunds will be given.
- If there are circumstances beyond your control that will prevent you from arriving on time, please call the Art Show Directors as soon as possible to ensure your space is not lost.
- A cell phone number to contact the Art Show Directors at the Show will be provided with your Last Minute Letter.
If you have any questions or concerns about refunds, then please feel free to contact the Art Show Directors.
Per the rules and procedures for the Dragon Con Convention, attendance policies require all artists, helpers, assistants, family members, friends, etc. of the Art Show to purchase a Convention membership badge if they plan on attending the Convention during normal hours of operation during the Labor Day weekend (e.g. various times from Friday, 1:00 p.m. through Monday, 4:00 p.m.). While the attending artist will be given an artist ribbon upon checking into the Show, they and/or any member of their party CANNOT use the ribbon as a badge to enter or exit the Art Show after we open. The artist and/or any member of their party must be a badged member by the time we open up to the Dragon Con attendees on Friday. Please see below for more details.
If you are planning on attending Dragon Con, your Convention membership badge(s) may be purchased at the same time you apply to the Dragon Con Art Show. One perk for doing this is that if you are accepted into the Show, your membership badge and any additional badge(s) you purchase will ALL be located at the Art Show in your check-in packet when you arrive. This means you can avoid that very long line at Registration for badge pickup.
- Include a separate check with your space fee check or indicate on the application form to charge your credit card for the membership fee(s).
- The price of the membership(s) to Dragon Con is determined by when you apply to the Jury. If you apply to Round One Jury, then the price will be fixed at the current pricing for that month when we open (usually March).
- When you purchase your membership badge(s) through the Art Show, there will be different options to choose from online when you purchase them. If you choose the request type "Whether I pass Jury or not" box, then please be aware that your membership(s) may not be with the Art Show. If you are not accepted into the Art Show, then your membership badge(s) will be located at Registration for pick-up. You MUST go to Registration to get them because the Art Show only has badges onsite for artists who are accepted into the Show, who have been placed on the floor and have purchased their memberships through us. This is a Dragon Con management attendance policy that is in effect for all attendees.
- Current membership rates are located at the Dragon Con 2017 Membership Rates web page.
If you do not plan on purchasing a Dragon Con membership badge through the Art Show, then please be aware:
- As a participating artist, you will be given ONLY ONE artist ribbon and any necessary security sticker(s) for yourself and any helper(s) and/or other members of your party which will permit you and them access to the Art Show during specified set-up and breakdown times. Details will be discussed in the Last Minute Letter.
- Once the doors open to Dragon Con attendees at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, entry into the Art Show will be restricted to badged members only.
- After this time, people without badges, including artists, will not be permitted into the Art Show until after 1:00 p.m. on Monday unless they have prior approval from the Art Show Directors.
If you have and use an artist name that is different from your legal name, you need to use both names on your control sheet(s).
- You may list only your artist name on the Bid sheet and/or Piece Id sheet.
Use only forms for the current year.
- PDF and paper forms from previous years are no longer valid.
Hand-written forms will not be accepted.
Every piece of artwork submitted to the Dragon Con Art Show at check-in; whether for the 2-D Gallery, a 3-D Table, Floorspace or the Print Shop and whether for sale or display only, MUST have the correct Dragon Con 2017 issued barcode, an accompanying Bid sheet (Art Gallery) or Piece Id sheet (Print Shop) and contact information for the artist (Business card) directly attached to the artwork piece. No Exceptions Please.
The Dragon Con Art Show uses information on official Dragon Con Art Show paperwork (e.g. control sheets, application forms, bid sheets, piece id sheets, etc.) when handling or processing all artwork. Make sure these are filled out completely. If there are changes to this paperwork, you must notify us of any and all changes via e-mail to the Art Show Directors.
For more detailed information about pricing, control sheets, bid sheets, piece id sheets and other paperwork instructions, please refer to the Filling Out Control and Bid Sheets tab.
The following guidelines are for our check-in and check-out procedures for your artwork before and after the Show onsite. You will receive more detailed instructions from the staff at the Information Desk and your assigned volunteer when you arrive at the Show. Please familiarize yourself with this most important procedure for Art Show.
Artists failing to properly check-in and check-out lose their right to challenge any and all closing amounts for their Dragon Con account.
- Art Gallery and/or Print Shop control sheets for check-in and check-out must be signed by both the artist and/or agent (unless the artwork was mailed in) and the Art Show volunteer assigned to them who has verified the documented amounts.
Check-in occurs after the artist(s) and/or agent(s) has placed all of the artwork into the various approved exhibition space(s) as requested on the application form and before the Art Show opens.
- Once the artwork has been checked into the Art Show, an artist and/or agent may not withdraw it from the Show before 4:00 p.m. on Monday without prior approval from the Art Show Directors.
- Once the artwork has been checked into the Art Show, you cannot add, subtract, or change anything during the Convention including prices.
IMPORTANT Beginning Monday morning at 9:00 a.m., artists and/or agents may sign-up at the Information Desk for check-out later that day at 4:00 p.m. Then, once check-out begins, artists will be checked-out in the order they signed up. The artists may wait at their Bazaar tables, Artist Booths, by their gallery displays or somewhere else in the Art Show room and they will be called when it is their turn. This will eliminate congestion at the check-out desk and minimize line-standing time for the artists.
- Artists should remain in the Art Show room until their name is called. If we call you and you do not respond, we will move your name to the bottom of the list and call the next person.
- Artists that do not sign up will be checked-out after the list has been processed.
Check-out occurs before any unsold pieces have been removed from their exhibition space(s) at the end of Show on Monday after 4:00 p.m.
- Only an Art Show volunteer can perform the check-in or check-out procedure.
- The artists and/or agents are responsible for removing any of their remaining artwork at the end of the Show. The artists and/or agents leaving artwork behind at the end of the Show will be charged the applicable Mail-in fee in addition to the packing and shipping charges.
During check-out, if there is a piece that has been bid on but not yet purchased, it will be considered abandoned art and will be sent home with the artists and/or agents.
- We will provide the artists and/or agents with the contact information of the winning bidder so that they may contact them to finalize the sale after the Show. Dragon Con no longer does this post-Show for the artists.
Artists unable to reclaim their artwork in person must make prior arrangements with the Art Show Directors. The Art Show is required to vacate the room by 11:59 p.m. on Monday. Any artwork remaining in the Art Show rooms at this time will be transferred to the Dragon Con office and shipped to the artist at a later date. Appropriate shipping, insurance (if requested) and handling fees will be charged to the artist.
If Dragon Con mails any artwork to the artist, it is the artist's responsibility to acquire shipping insurance. The artist must record the amount of insurance they wish to be purchased on their control sheets, otherwise the artwork will be shipped without insurance.
Sales checks (if any) and all unsold Mail-in artwork will be mailed out approximately 6-8 weeks after the Convention.
- The final receipt will accompany your check.
- Only the Senior Director of Finance, not the Art Show Directors, can write the checks.
- The more that you call or e-mail the Art Show Directors or the office Manager to inquire about your check, the slower the process moves.
If you are an agent applying to be in the Art Show for multiple artists, you will be issued an artist number. Each artist that you represent must have their own, individual artist number. After the Convention a single check will be written to the agent.